In today’s digital age, our smartphones have become an integral part of our lives. But there are times when we need to disconnect and turn off our devices, whether it’s to save battery life, reboot the system, or simply take a break from the constant connectivity. Turning off your phone might seem straightforward, but the process can vary depending on the type of phone you have. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps to power down your phone, covering both iPhone and Android devices.
Whether your power button is broken or you’re just looking for a different way to switch off your device, we’ve got you covered.
How to Turn Off Phone Without Power Button
If your phone’s power button is broken or not working properly, there are a few ways you can still turn it off. The following methods work for both iPhone and Android devices.
- AssistiveTouch: AssistiveTouch is an accessibility feature that creates a virtual Home button on your screen. You can use AssistiveTouch to turn off your phone by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to Accessibility > Touch > AssistiveTouch.
- Toggle on AssistiveTouch.
- Tap the AssistiveTouch button on your screen.
- Tap Device > Lock Screen.
- Tap and hold the Lock Screen button until the power slider appears.
- Slide the power slider to the right to turn off your phone.
- Siri: If your iPhone is running iOS 11 or later, you can use Siri to turn off your phone. To do this, simply say “Hey Siri, turn off my phone.” Siri will then ask you to confirm that you want to turn off your phone. Once you confirm, Siri will turn off your phone.
- Scheduled power-off: Most Android devices have a scheduled power-off feature that allows you to set a time for your phone to turn off automatically. To use this feature, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to System > Advanced > Schedule power on/off.
- Toggle on Schedule power on/off.
- Set the time for your phone to turn off.
- Tap OK to save your changes.
- Safe mode: Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your phone up with only the essential apps and services enabled. This can be helpful for troubleshooting problems with your phone, such as a power button that is not working. To boot into safe mode, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the power button to turn off your phone.
- Once your phone is turned off, press and hold the power button again.
- When the logo appears on your screen, press and hold the volume down button until your phone boots up.
- Once your phone is booted into safe mode, you will see “Safe mode” in the bottom left corner of the screen.
To turn off your phone in safe mode, simply press and hold the power button and select Power off.
- Third-party apps: There are a number of third-party apps available that can help you turn off your phone without the power button. Some popular apps include:
- Power Menu
- Gravity Screen
- Shake to Turn Off
These apps work in different ways, but they all allow you to turn off your phone with the tap of a button or a gesture.
If you are unable to turn off your phone using any of the above methods, you may need to contact your phone’s manufacturer or a qualified repair technician for assistance.